Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Aromatic Greetings

I wish I could give you a scratch and smell sticker for Dubai....but you might not like it! Don't get me wrong, I love Dubai. I think its a great place and some of the smells I have encountered here have been lovely....but unless you are an avid fan of B.O. you're going to be in for a few uncomfortable moments...

I first stepped off the plane at Dubai International airport to start my new "Dubai Life" in the beginning of November, it was still 35C and humid here and the crushing wave of humid heat as I stepped off the plane was a clear indication that my DXB adventures were beginning! I don't think they let the weatherman here know that November is supposed to be a nice brisk Autumn where I am from!! I have to admit I was expecting a few shocks as I had never visited before and had had to accept my position in a rather hasty fashion after being allowed only a few hours to research it on the net...let's just say I thought I'd be up for an adventure!!

Somewhat dripping in sweat (a condition I have really become used to in this desert oasis!) I dug my handy flip flops out of my carry-on baggage and proceeded to customs to start my life in the Emirates... and bam did I ever get an Aromatic Greeting! The lovely locals at the customs and immigration desk smelled faintly of frankincense oud (perfume) which is a widely popular custom for the local Emirati people here and many people actually find quite pleasant, I on the other hand find it just tolerable. However the real challenge awaited me at the the baggage carousels, OH MY GOD! uggh, let's just say that I don't think deodorant is a high priority for many of the workers arriving in droves to work in Dubai.

Having been able to located my baggage in the sea of identical looking black suitcases (and with only one missing, it having decided to take a scenic detour to another country en route apparently!) I headed to the taxi stand to make my way to my new home.

And the smells continued... my cabdriver quickly made me realize that Old spice would definitely go bankrupt out here! I can't say I had ever had the pleasure to enjoy such a 32 minute smell-a-ton before (that's right exactly 32 minutes as I timed my torturous hotboxed B.O. smellride!) and I really am hoping its not something i will ever experience again...although living here I have my doubts on that point.

While my taxi driver was very pleasant and made a hearty stab at conversation it was all I could do to suppress my gag reflex. I have to admit I don't think I was a brilliant conversationalist on that occasion. Maybe you get used to it after a few years of living here...but I'm not holding my breath ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment