Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ode to the Throne


One of the first things you will get used to in Dubai toilets is the ever present bidet hose. A local delicacy, it is a great way to flood a toilet and spread bacteria but hey it's apparently a 'must-have' here...I'm all for integrating myself into the local culture, but in this case I will be sticking to my good ol' TP (that would be Toilet Paper for anyone who's never been to summer camp or TP'ed a neighbour's tree at Halloween!)

The greatest thing about Dubai toilets however, is the multidute of signs posted in various bathrooms to teach bathroom etiquette. Keep in mind that Dubai attracts a great variety of expats and some of our ethnically diverse population might hail from a country where bathrooms aren't quite up to Western standards... (let's just say I have had the "pleasure" of squatting over some really nice holes in my travels throughout Asia and the Indian Subcontinent!!!) Therefore a couple bathroom lessons are sometimes needed to keep the peace. I really didn't know that people could come up with so many poems with variations on the "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, be a sweetie and wipe the seatie" theme!! I will endeavour to photograph a few of my favorites over the next few weeks and share them with you all.

For now I leave you with the sign I found today in a lovely bathroom, I guess people have been reading the sign and 'Flushing away their bad habits' here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment