Saturday, May 9, 2009

Royal Peacocks & Cruising Camels, just another day in Dubai :)

The other day I was driving along at about 100 km/hr when the cars ahead of me started breaking suddenly. I was a little confused until I saw the peacocks on the road. Apparently the Royal Peacocks had escaped and gone for a field trip on the road. Quite a surprising experience I have to admit!

Back home I might have stopped for a dog on the road but who could have predicted a few years ago that I would now be breaking for the Royal Peacocks, too funny :) I thought it was a once in a lifetime experience, until i braked suddenly again yesterday. I guess they liked it so much they came back for more asphalt cruisin'!

Around here, seeing different animals on the roads is not an unusual experience, I've seen goats in the back of pick-up trucks being transported to market and camels in the back of a flatbed truck all gussied up on their way to a camel race. However my all time favorite is still the warning camel signs. As you go towards the Hatta border to Oman there are a few camel farms and these long-legged animals sometimes go for a stroll on the highway, believe me when I say that you certainly do not want to meet these great beasts when driving over 120km/hr.

Life is often funny over here as I learn about living and integrating into the local Arab culture in Dubai. I have now tried Camel milk (eww, don't want to try that again!) and camel meat (bit like beef but with a gamey aftertaste) and I am still loving living and learning over here. I am enjoying all my new cultural experiences, and besides, it sure makes for great stories to share with you all :)

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I am currently in my final year of secondary school in the US and am looking at various universities overseas. I am hoping to attend a uni in Hong Kong, however am considering other locations if that does not work out. I have a friend living in Chennai, India and was looking at the University of Madras there, but to my disappointment, I have only read negative comments about living as an expat in Chennai. I am considering Dubai as well. It seems like a very exciting city and has been mentioned in the media a lot recently. I have seen countless TV programs/ documentaries on the up and coming city.

    I was wondering if you would send me an e-mail as I have a few questions about Dubai that I’m sure you would have the knowledge and experience to answer.

    You can contact me at mia_salituro@yahoo.com

    Hope to hear from you soon!

    Sincerely,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete